Thursday, December 11, 2008

My First Injury

Okay..so maybe getting the new Asics and high arch inserts were a bad idea...or at least the inserts were. For the past week, the side of my shin has been killing me. I've tried stretching it out..but I never could find a specific stretch that isolated that muscle so I could stretch it. So I gave in today and asked Mr. Buettemeyer about it. He used to be an athletic trainer and he really knows what he's talking about when it comes to athletics. He squeezed my leg exactly where it hurts and said I have shin splints. He told me a few stretches to do and to keep putting ice on it. I asked him what could have caused it..and the first thing he asked was if I had gotten any new running shoes or inserts. And of course..I had on our trip to Fairview Heights a few weekends ago. ARGHH! So his recommendation is to just take out the high arch inserts and try the original inserts that came with the shoes. And if that doesn't work..he said to go back to my old running shoes and gradually work my way into my new Asics. Oh the side effects of running.

1 comment:

Browningblog said...

Kim is the absolute best!! That is the nice thing about having him right there. He is basically part of my family, my church family anyway, but you know how church family can become closer than blood. Robert had a heriditary problem with his heals, Kim would make him special inserts every time he got new shoes. Hate it that you have Shin Splints, listen to Kim, they will get better!